Thursday, July 16, 2009

What's a thingfo? Fo'... (insert joke here)

Coming up on the end of SPL's 27 Things, I signed up for and explored Thingfo, a newer social networking and analytics tool that I must confess I've never heard of.

I couldn't really figure Thingfo out, at first glance. I created my Thingfo and took a look at what the inimitable Ars Legendi is up to on the social web... mostly uploading pictures to Flickr, if my little content widget is to be believed. I kind of didn't see what I could use this for, initially, and was even a little put off at having my movements tracked and analyzed like that.

However, with a little thought, I can envision a number of uses for this that go a little deeper than casual use. Primarily, Thingfo is a great way to keep track of your brand as it wends its way through the Internet (as its considerable interconnectedness with Twitter demonstrates). So, while it didn't do much for me personally, I think that technologies like Thingfo (and the valuable metadata that they provide) could be fairly useful to a savvy information professional as their organization gets more social.

As of this writing, it looks like Thingfo has restricted new user signups to invitiation-only while they work on some "exciting things for release later this summer," so it will be interesting to see what functionality they add.

1 comment:

  1. Good point about tracking our brand. I'll keep an eye on it.

    ReplyDelete