Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mangia

I remember when Delicious was del.icio.us, and it took me forever to get used to their new URL, even though it's simpler. I thought the original was much more clever, even though I'd occasionally mess it up as I entered it. I could never remember where that first dot went.

I love the idea of Delicious, primarily because it allows me to have a portable bookmark list. I know this is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of features, but honestly, that's the most important to me. I like not having my bookmark list confined to specific hardware.

I have lately started playing with tag bundles, though... I set up a "Reference Links" bundle to encompass links with various other tags that could be useful during a reference interview. Also, I'm intrigued by tag subscriptions. I usually pick up useful links from blogs and manually add them in to my Delicious list, but I find tag subscriptions to be a very efficient way of researching specific topics by browsing feeds of links that other users have bookmarked and tagged. I've found a number of interesting sites that way that I probably never would have otherwise seen. I think it's easy to drown in information by doing this, but used judiciously, it's a very powerful research (and leisure reading) tool.

The one thing I haven't really done with it yet is work with "live bookmarking" by integrating Delicious into everything else I use online, and since I am a dedicated Firefox user, there's really no excuse for this. I need to update some of my tags anyway, though, so playing with that is my next step.

My hope is to link all of my online tools together into a networked, independent being that actually uses the Internet for me, becoming increasingly efficient until it eventually gains sentience and rebels, attempting to destroy me. Between live bookmarking and updating my Facebook through Twitter using my phone, I think I'm getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment